Wednesday, June 04, 2003

Well, if you haven't heard, there's a movie called "The Brown Bunny" written, directed, produced, edited and starring Vincent Gallo, which was shown at this year's Cannes Film Festival. There, it was roundly met with derision. One review I read described "The Brown Bunny" as an odd, badly paced road movie. Apparently, Gallo stars as a professional motorcyclist driving cross country to a race. Apparently, not much happens over the course of a couple of hours, but the movie ends with an extremely explicit oral sex scene with co-star Chloe Sevigny.

One particular critic of the film is the Chicago Sun-Times' Roger Ebert, who panned the film early on as one of the worst movies ever shown at Cannes.

Gallo himself apologized for the movie at the Cannes Festival.

But since, Gallo has apparently engaged in a war of words with Mr. Ebert. Whether this is to defend the movie or simply save face, I don't really know. But Gallo has called Ebert a "Fat Pig" and said that Ebert had "the physique of a slave-trader."

Ebert responded today. You can read the full text of Ebert's reply, from today's Chicago Sun-Times, here. It contains possibly one of the best zingers of all time:

"During a scene where Gallo shares a bicycle with a young woman, I became so nostalgic for "Butch Cassidy" that I softly sang "Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head." I stopped after six words when my wife jabbed me in the ribs. I was overheard by a writer for Hollywood Reporter, who included it in his coverage about how badly the film was received, and that is another reason Gallo has put the heebie-jeebie on my colon and prostate. I am not too worried. I had a colonoscopy once, and they let me watch it on TV. It was more entertaining than "The Brown Bunny."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home