Friday, June 20, 2003

And let me just say this about the Cubs/Reds brawl yesterday....

I think Michael Wilbon said it best: It's nice to see the Cubs not backing down from anybody.

I think that would suit Kyle Farnsworth just fine. Dude's crazy. And he can throw hard. Like 100 miles an hour, dude. Don't tick him off.

He will kill you with the baseball.

I just like the picture from that ESPN.com story, that has Reds pitcher Paul Wilson down on the ground, with Farnsworth on top of him, getting ready to pummel him. I set that one as my Windows wallpaper. Made me feel good.

You know, I'm thinking in baseball we go back to the old days where batters don't stand on top of the plate. I think you buzz a couple up under their chin, and then they'll stand back on their feet so that they're able to get out of the way. Then we wouldn't have so many beanballs.

It's all about respecting the pitcher. Guys like Roger Clemens and Pedro Martinez and even Kerry Wood have been made into bad guys because they'll buzz something up around somebody's chin every now and then. That's just making the batter respect you. Keep him off balance. He can't look out and away if he's expecting it up under his chin.

This was the Reds pitcher for God's Sake! If the pitchers from the other team aren't respecting you enough not to stand over the plate they deserve to get plunked.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home